Try this method for controlling breathlessness by following the below steps:
Try it first at rest, then try doing it during activities.
- Get in a comfortable position
- Close your eyes and bring your attention to your breathing
- Breathe in and out through your nose (or mouth if you are unable to do this – but work towards trying to breathe through your nose in time).
- Put a hand on your stomach and recognise how it rises and falles when you breathe in and out
- Try to breathe in for the count of one, PAUSE and then out for the count of two, working towards a longer breath out than in. This will slow your breathing rate down.
- Notice areas of tension in your body and try to release this with each breath out.
- Gradually try to make your breaths slower and deeper.
A simple method to help you with activities
This is useful during activities that make you breathless e.g. lifting an object (can be used with pursed lip breathing)
- Breathe in before you make the effort.
- Breathe out whilst making the effort (e.g. as you lift the object).
- Always breathe out on the hardest part of the actions