Breaking the cycle of anxiety
Identify your triggers
People suffering from anxiety can often find that their anxiety is triggered by certains things. These could be anything from a particular social situation, a thought, certain times of day. Identifying these can be helpful. Try to look for patterns:
- When do you usually get anxious?
- What are you thinking that makes you feel anxious?
- What makes you anxious – places/people/certain times of day?
- What are your triggers – sounds/smells/reminders?
- Which factors keep your anxiety going?
- What are your safety behaviours?
Trying to avoid triggers will likely have an impact on your quality of life, narrowing your comfort zone, so it can be helpful to make a plan to gradually do the things you normally avoid and to reduce your safety behaviours.